Thursday, October 29, 2009

The best part of my gourmet sandwich

I just had one of those deep, pithy talks with my boys. They both are the joys of my life. They make all the crap in life worthwhile.

You can read a little bit about them on my other blog that is sadly behind schedule (by about two years). I plan to backfill anecdotes and photos about their lives soon.

Anyway, my older son, Quinn (he favors his mother, a lot) stopped us suddenly, in the middle of watching a TV show (Flash Forward - we're still debating whether we're going to keep watching it) to talk about how people make life decisions, big and small, and how their consequences ripple out to impact others as well as themselves. We talked about the important differences between reactionary decisions and logically-handled decisions and how managing emotions affects the decision-making process.

I love it that Quinn likes to talk about this stuff. And that Rhyan is around to listen to us talk. He's not so interested in the workings of the inner mind at age 12. He's still in an observation stage, trying to figure everybody out and what his place in the world is at the moment. But what we talk about makes an impact, because sometimes he comes back with his own very deeply-lustrous pearls of wisdom. I feel greatly privileged to watching him grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment