Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How to motivate a teen aged boy

Really, I have no idea how to do that...

Oh my god! OMG!!! OMFG!!!!

I really had to get that out of my system. College boy has strep throat. He's been on meds for only two days. He hasn't eaten for three days and the first thing he managed to eat, well, that's not staying down at the moment. Okay, so, perhaps it's not the best time to get mad at him for flunking out of Japanese 101 and screwing up English 101 because he didn't read the syllabus properly and didn't complete 30% of the assignments, and somehow, with the new semester starting tomorrow, he's only signed up for one class, even though he paid for four.

It took all my self control to speak calmly to him to try to figure out what was going on. And even then, I got all sorts of attitude from him! This man-child, who keeps telling me how much more mature he is than his fellow schoolmates, plus most of humanity, is quite a bit more clueless than he realizes.

I have stepped away from helping him figure this out. He will have to learn to handle his own life. He's not spending enough time studying, certainly not even close to get him to his Plan A college (USC), and most likely not even his Plan B college (UCSC). He is not actively seeking employment. He thinks he's actively seeking employment, but really, he's not. And right now, he's sleeping in my bed, and I'm sleeping on the sofa with the dog, because his room is too close to the main road and he can't get adequate sleep from the street noise and street lamps, and he needs to sleep in order to get well. I don't want to get strep, so I won't sleep in his room until he's washed all his bedding, and he needs to wash all my bedding too now.

There's a reason why kids are supposed to go away to college...so the parents will have an opportunity to forget all their crap and come to miss them.

I think my son needs someone like Alfred the butler in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment